41. Behind the scenes
The goal of this ebook is to either talk about what is involved behind the scenes or to show what things are really like.
“Behind the scenes” refers to the workings that most of us don’t see or think about. It is the hidden cause to the visible outcome’s effect. “What things are really like,” on the other hand, is more about correcting misconceptions or misunderstandings.
Regardless of which approach you take, there are several different avenues to go down afterward. Your book could be about a person, an event, an entire industry, or any combination of those things.
- What are some of the behind the scenes things that most people in your niche don’t think about?
- What are some common misconceptions in your niche?
- Argyle Armada: Behind the Scenes of the Pro Cycling Life
- Wicked: The Grimmerie, a Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Hit Broadway Musical
- Quinn Martin, Producer: A Behind-the-Scenes History of QM Productions and Its Founder
- Emillions: Behind-The-Scenes Stories of 14 Successful Internet Millionaires
- I Sold Up: What is it really like to sell a business?
- Making Your Own Wine: What it’s Really Like to Start, Run and Profitably Sell a Winery
- The Sibling Slam Book: What It’s Really Like To Have A Brother Or Sister With Special Needs
- Street Fight in Iraq: What It’s Really Like Over There
- What It’s Like to be a Television Show Host
Interviews are a great way to create an ebook, and they make it possible for you to create a book without being an expert on a subject. Come up with some questions about things relating to your niche and ask those questions to several people in your niche. Once you’ve done that, compile everyone’s questions and answers into a single ebook.
You’ve got a few options as far as the format of the book goes. The interview questions could all cover one central topic. If your niche is writing, you could interview writers about where they get their ideas for their novels, for example. Or you could ask each interviewee something different. You could ask one person about where he/she gets ideas, another about marketing books, another about finding an agent and publisher, and so on.
You could conduct the interviews via email, over the phone, through Skype, or in person. If structured interviews aren’t your thing, another option is to provide edited transcriptions of conversations you have with people.
- What are some of the big questions that people in your niche have?
- Who are some of the interesting people in your niche that have great stories to tell?
- GoreMaster Interviews: Special Effects Artists: Practical Advice from the Experts
- Interviews with Indie Authors: Top Tips from Successful Self-Published Authors
- On Curating: Interviews with Ten International Curators
- Mexico- Interviews With 10 Expatriates
- You 2.0 – The Interviews on Life Hacking
- Violent Encounters: Interviews on Western Massacres
- The Music Industry Doesn’t Have To Kill You: Conversations with Remarkable People from the Music Industry
43. What to do
This type of ebook is all about what to do in certain situations. A book like this can be about what to do in one specific situation (e.g., what to do when you’re not accepted to any of the colleges you applied to), or it can be a collection of advice on what to do in different situations (e.g., what to do when things go wrong in college, which could have sections on what to do when you fail a test, when you aren’t getting enough sleep, when you need to cure a hangover, etc.).
- What are some things that commonly go wrong in your niche?
- What are some things that people worry about a lot in your niche?
- What are some of the big turning points in your niche, and what are some questions that people often have when they reach those turning points?
- What To Do When: Practical Guidance Strategies for Challenging Behaviors in the Preschool
- What To Do When There’s Too Much To Do: Reduce Tasks, Increase Results, and Save 90 a Minutes Day
- What To Do When Someone Dies – A simple guide for family members and executors to settle an estate
- What to Do When Someone You Love Is Depressed:: A Self-Help and Help-Others Guide
- What To Do When Considering Moving Banks
- Learn to Speak Chinese IV: Practical Living (Visit the Doctor, Dentist, Shopkeeper, Chef, Tailor, Trainer, and Lost & Found using Chinese Characters, PinYin, and English Dialogues)
You’ve likely heard of Steven Covey’s bestselling book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. What are the habits of successful people in your niche? If you’re a rock climber, what are the habits and best practices that the top rock climbers get into? If you’re an Xbox gamer, write about the traits or habits that make the top Halo players so good at the game.
- What are the things that successful people in your niche do on a regular basis?
- What are routine things that a regular person in your niche can do to be more successful?
- What good habits have you gotten into?
- The 101 Habits Of Highly Successful Screenwriters: Insider’s Secrets from Hollywood’s Top Writers
- The Forgotten Habits Of Healthy Sleeping
- 5 Habits Of Highly Fit People: The Simple Way To Lose Weight And Get Fit Forever
- Shortcut to Prosperity: 10 Entrepreneurial Habits and a Roadmap for an Exceptional Career
- Bad Habits of Good Puppies
- Who Will Win the Big Game? 50 Championship Characteristics – A Psychological & Mathematical Method for Identifying Winning Players, Teams & Coaches
45. Photo books
Photo books are rather self-explanatory; they’re books that have more photos than text. Another way to think of it is as a coffee table book. If you are a great photographer or are in a very visual niche, a photo book can be a great ebook idea.
One thing to keep in mind that the images in photo books don’t necessarily need to be photos. They can be maps, drawings, cartoons, or any other type of graphic.
- There there any beautiful, interesting, or unique things that you can take photos of in your niche?
- How can you deliver value visually in ways that text falls short?
- Pictures from Spain
- 99 Historic Native North American Images Colored
- Illustrated Album of Egypt
- Haunted Ground: Ghost Photos from the Gettysburg Battlefield
- Historical US Navy recruitment posters
Most niches have their own vocabulary that is an enigma to those outside of the niche. This ebook idea is all about listing out and defining those words.
This ebook can definitely be more than a series of words followed by brief, one-sentence definitions. You can include the origin of that word. You can include example uses. Adding photos or illustrations can be great for additional clarity and explanation.
- What are some commonly misunderstood words and phrases in your niche?
- What are some words that took you some time to fully understand?
- Are there commonly-used words in your niche that most people don’t know the history of?
- The Home Baking Glossary of Terms (In the Pantry Baking Standards)
- Plant Identification Terminology: An Illustrated Glossary
- Saint Mary’s Press® Glossary of Theological Terms
- The Encyclopedia of Operations Management: A Field Manual and Glossary of Operations Management Terms and Concepts
- Climbing Dictionary: Mountaineering Slang, Terms, Neologisms and Lingo: An Illustrated Reference to More Than 650 Words
This kind of book is essentially a who’s who of your niche. Who are the people that those in your niche need to know about? Why should everyone know about those people, and what interesting things can you say about them? The book could include professionals, business owners, innovators, and inventors, and anyone else who is noteworthy for one reason or another.
- Who are some of the famous and influential people in your niche?
- Who are some of the lesser-known people in your niche that have still had an influence?
- What can people today learn from those that were interested in the niche or industry before them?
- One Hit Wonders: The story of one off Grand Prix winners
- 50 People Every Christian Should Know: Learning from Spiritual Giants of the Faith
- Famous Women in Burmese History
- The People of Burning Man
- The People of Cascadia – Pacific Northwest Native American History
- Whos Who in British Climbing
- 100 Artists of Washington, D. C.
- 2012 Who’s Who in Baseball
- Who’s on Worst?: The Lousiest Players, Biggest Cheaters, Saddest Goats and Other Antiheroes in Baseball History
48. Book of lists
This one is simple. Whether we want to admit it or not, we all love lists. That’s why every single website and blog out there is full of them. Compile a bunch of lists together and you’ve got a book of lists.
- What are some lists that you wish you had when you were starting out in your niche?
- What kids of lists have you made or seen others make?
- What lists have you used in the past?
- Things To Do While Avoiding Things To Do: And 56 More Fun Lists for Procrastinators
- Mom’s Ultimate Book of Lists, A: 100+ Lists to Save You Time, Money, and Sanity
- The Presidential Book of Lists: From Most to Least, Elected to Rejected, Worst to Cursed-Fascinating Facts About Our Chief Executives
- The Art Teacher’s Book of Lists
- The Great Book of Nascar Lists
49. Problems with something
Nothing is so perfect that it can’t be made better, and that’s what this type of ebook is all about. Analyze your niche or something in your niche and talk about how it can be improved.
- What things should be done away with or implemented?
- What do the people in your niche need to do more or less often?
- What things look good now but could come back to cause damage in the future?
- An analysis of the Comic Book Industry’s Business Issues
- Cruise Ship Blues: The Underside of the Cruise Ship Industry
- Key Issues in the Arts and Entertainment Industry
- Problems Of Sugar Industry In India
- Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How There Is a Better Way for Africa
We all want to be better at whatever it is we do, and people are usually willing to pay for knowledge that will help them improve. If you are interested in woodworking, you could create a book that consists of various exercises designed to improve people’s skills. I you love to snorkel, you could write a book that helps people do things like become better swimmers, hold their breath longer, and more easily identify different varieties of fish.
- What things have you done to improve your performance in your niche?
- Is it easy or difficult to improve in your niche?
- What things can be practiced, and what things need to be studied?
- How To Improve Handwriting – Special Edition – Perfect Step-By-Step
- Gmail Superman – Improve productivity using these gmail tricks
- Your Memory : How It Works and How to Improve It
- Your Credit Score: How to Improve the 3-Digit Number That Shapes Your Financial Future
- Improve Your Photography: How Budding Photographers Can Get Pro Results
- How to Be a Better Birder
Photo: Kris Krüg